Summer is the time to put in the work to build a base for the fall cross country season. The Ran Marin Summer Program is out there running and putting in the miles. A few photos from a Saturday run at the lakes. Follow along on Instagram at ran_marin
Lake Lagunitas and Bon Tempe Lake
The ranmarin summer program had some distinguished alumni join them for a run. In the photo above left to right. (Thank you to Rob Flatland for the photo)
- Angela Seeger (Branson) will be a senior at a high school in NYC. As a junior she ran cross country and indoor/ outdoor track.
- Anna Harleen (Branson) will be a sophomore at Williams College. Anna had a successful freshman year competing in cross country and indoor/outdoor track.
- Michael Petruzzelli graduated from Branson and will attend the University of Chicago in the fall. Michael competed in cross country and track and continues to support ranmarin.
- Julia Maxwell (Branson) will be a sophomore at Stanford University. Julia had some bright moments as a freshman but she also had to battle injuries along the way. She competed in cross country and indoor/outdoor track.
Follow along on instagram: Ran_Marin
The final 2015 MCAL Track & Field Top Performances Lists are in. Congratulations to all of the athletes who participated. We hope your season leaves you with great memories and many PR’s.
Varsity Girls: 2015 MCAL Girls Top Ten – 6-8-15
Varsity Boys: 2015 MCAL Boys Top Ten – 6-8-15
Erik Olson (Novato) of Stanford qualified for the NCAA Div l Outdoor Track and Field Championships to be held in Eugene on June 10-13, 2015.
Erik placed 6th in his heat at the NCAA Div l West Prelims in the Mens 5000m in 13:53. Olson’s time was the 6th fastest with the top 12 qualifying for Nationals. The meet was held in Austin, Texas.
UPDATE: Erik Olson placed 9th in the Mens 5000m race at the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships with the time of 13:55.74. Link to Stanford’s website http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=210147991
Lilla McMillan (Tam) of Tulane placed 5th in her heat at the NCAA Div l East Prelims in the Womens 400m. McMillan ran 52.80 in the quarterfinal with the 14th fastest time, just missing qualifying for Nationals. The meet was held in Jacksonville, Florida.
Redwood High School’s Glennis Murphy capped off her excellent season by finishing 10th overall in the Finals of the1600 Meter Run at the CIF State Track & Field Championships on Saturday in Fresno. She finished in 4:53.96, about 2 seconds off her personal best.
Other Marin Athletes who competed on Friday in the Preliminaries were:
Jordan Winters (High Jump; Branson) – 19th place in the Prelims clearing 5-2.00
Isabella DeBruin (Pole Vault; Justin Sienna) – Did not clear the opening height of 11-02.
Nassim Kabbara (1600; San Rafael) – 19th place in the Prelims in a time of 4:19.52.
Gillian Wagner (800; Redwood) – 25th in the Prelims in a time of 2:18.01
Frankie Shaw (Pole Vault; Tamalpais) – Did not clear the opening height of 14-02.
Of the 6 Marin County Track and Field Athletes who competed Friday in the preliminaries of the State Track Championships, only Redwood’s Glennis Murphy qualified for Saturday’s Final. Murphy placed 10th overall with a time of 4:51.02 in Friday’s qualifier. Saturday’s Girl’s 1600 meter race is scheduled for 6:20 pm.
The 2015 CIF State Track and Field Championships will be held Friday and Saturday, June 5 and 6. Meet Information, schedules and performance lists can be found at:
Results at: http://www.rtspt.com/events/cif/2015/
On Saturday May 30, 2015 at the NCS Meet of Champions Glennis Murphy of Redwood set a new MCAL record in the Girls 1600m breaking the record set on the dirt track in 1976 at the Meet of Champions by Linda Broderick of Tam. Broderick went on to place 1st at the 1976 CIF State Track and Field Championships.
In the 1976 photo Maggie Keyes of Tam is on the left. Keyes placed 3rd at the 1975 CIF State Meet and went on to compete in college. She won the 1980 NCAA Womens 1500m as a senior at Cal Poly. Keyes continued racing after college for Nike’s Athletics West and qualified in the 3000m for the inaugural World Championships in Athletics. This meet was held at the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki, Finland in 1983.
Photo compiled by Tom Benjamin.
The following athletes placed in the top 3 at the NCS Meet of Champions to qualify for the 2015 CIF State Track & Field Championships to be held June 5/6 at Buchanan HS, Clovis.
- Jordan Winters of Branson jumped 5-04.00 to place 2nd in the Girls High Jump
- Isabella DeBruin of Justin Siena placed 2nd in the Girls Pole Vault clearing 11 feet
- Nassim Kabbera of San Rafael placed 2nd in the Boys 1600m with the time of 4:19.41
- Gillian Wagner of Redwood placed 3rd in the Girls 800m with the time of 2:13.60
- Frankie Shaw of Tamalpais placed 3rd in the Boys Pole Vault clearing 13-08.00
Glennis Murphy of Redwood placed 4th in the Girls 1600m with the time of 4:51.32. Glennis met the qualifying standard for the State Meet.